- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy in Lubbock, TX
At The VisionCenter of West Texas, we offer diagnostic and treatment for a wide range of eye health needs including diabetic retinopathy. If you’ve been diagnosed, or you believe you may have this condition, talk to our team about the condition and the treatment of it.
Common Symptoms of Diabetic Retinopathy
Diabetic retinopathy is a condition found in individuals with diabetes in which there is damage to the retina. Over time and especially if not treated, this condition can lead to blindness. Common symptoms of this condition include:
- Seeing spots or dark strings that seem to be floating in your vision
- Blurred vision
- Vision that seems to change, getting better and worsening over time
- Impaired color vision
- Dark or even empty sections of your vision
- Over time, vision loss
The early stages of this condition usually do not include any symptoms. However, we can help to diagnose this condition early on especially if you come in for regular vision screenings. If you have these symptoms, it is important to come in for an eye health screening. You can schedule a Lubbock eye exam with us right away to learn more about the condition and for testing.
Treatment of Diabetic Eye Disease
For those who receive a diagnosis of this condition, we will provide a customized treatment plan specific to your needs. Treatment of diabetic eye disease can include several steps. In the early stages of the condition, you may not need treatment immediately, though it will be important to get your diabetes under control at this point if possible. Good diabetes management can help you to maintain lower blood sugar levels, leading to less progressive worsening of the condition.
If your condition worsens, there are various treatment options available to you. This may include:
- Focal laser treatment, also known as photocoagulation, that stops or slows the blood leakage and fluid loss in the eye
- Scatter laser treatment, also known as pan-retinal photocoagulation, which works to reduce the abnormal blood vessels present in the eye
- Vitrectomy, a procedure involving a small incision made in the eye to remove blood from the center of it.
Ongoing Lubbock Management of Ocular Diseases
Your eye health is essential. When you work with our Lubbock optometrist, you’ll get the one-on-one care you need as we learn more about your condition and find the best treatment option for your needs. In Lubbock, management of ocular diseases is done on a case-by-case basis. Many people do not need further treatment after these surgical procedures.
Contact Our Lubbock Optometrist Today!
In Lubbock, optometrist appointments for diabetic eye diseases and ocular diseases are available at The VisionCenter of West Texas. We offer eye exams, full diagnostic testing, and treatment options if you do have diabetic retinopathy. The sooner you come in for an appointment, the faster we can work to slow or stop the progression of your condition. Contact us today at 806-793-1927 for an appointment.